Plant-Based Grill Out – Portobello Mushroom Burgers
Portobello Mushroom Burgers
Time: 30 minutes
These savory portobello mushroom burgers are too good to be true! They will have non-vegetarians shocked at how delicious a plant-based alternative can be.
- 3 portobello mushroom caps
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper
- 3 cheese slices of choice
- Start by preparing the marinade. Whisk together balsamic vinegar, olive oil, minced garlic, basil, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper in a bowl.
- Clean the portobello mushrooms by gently wiping them with a damp cloth.
- Place the mushrooms in a shallow dish and pour the marinade over them, making sure to coat each mushroom evenly. Allow them to marinate for at least 10-20 minutes, flipping them halfway through.
- Preheat a grill or grill pan over medium heat. Once hot, place the marinated mushrooms on the grill, cap-side down. Reserve the marinade for basting.
- Cook the mushrooms for about 4-5 minutes on each side, basting with the marinade occasionally, until they are tender and juicy. During the last minute of grilling, place a slice of cheese on each mushroom to allow it to melt slightly.
- While the mushrooms are grilling, lightly toast the burger buns on the grill.
- Assemble the burgers with your preferred toppings. Serve your portobello mushroom burgers, and enjoy with our other plant-based grill out recipes!